Today as Citrix Synergy 2013 kicks into full gear, we announced that MTM Technologies is a Unidesk Certified Solution Partner (UCSP), and is now offering the Unidesk virtual desktop management platform to its customers.
MTM is a long-time Citrix partner and one of the first IT solution providers to build a national practice around desktop virtualization. They know the VDI space as well as anyone. And they're finding that Citrix XenDesktop and VMware Horizon View deployments are getting stalled by the same problems whenever desktop customization or application diversity is required:
- Application virtualization isn't feasible for any organization with more than a handful of apps. Too many apps simply cannot be virtualized. And the process of virtualizing apps is too difficult and time-consuming for most lean IT staffs.
- Windows image management becomes a VDI showstopper when apps that cannot be virtualized are embedded directly into the Windows gold image. Soon, a new image is needed for every 30-50 users, and VDI becomes harder and less efficient to manage than physical PCs.
Said Rich Brumpton, MTM Director of Solutions Development: "We see a lot of VDI projects get stuck when customers discover that their applications and desktop images don’t line up into nice neat groups. Unidesk layering technology is an innovative, next-generation approach that bypasses complex application virtualization, and enables IT organizations to truly have one golden image that only needs to be patched once. By adding Unidesk to our desktop virtualization portfolio, we now have a comprehensive VDI management solution that further enhances our highly successful Virtual Desktop Alliance solution as well as existing environments.”
As Rich explained, MTM is making Unidesk part of its portfolio to help its customers overcome these common challenges. With Unidesk Composite Virtualization® layering technology, applications are installed and updated once and then shared across all virtual desktops. Unlike first-generation application virtualization technology, Unidesk layered applications behave the same as locally installed applications. The applications and Microsoft Windows itself are unaware that the apps are actually being shared. Each app's files, data, and registry settings are located in the same places they would normally be. This is because, when you layer an app, you install it the exact same way you normally would on a regular desktop. Unidesk transparently captures the application and any dependencies in the sharable layer while it is in installation mode.
Once layered, apps can be assigned to one or more desktops with just a click and a reboot. No registry hacks, scripts, workarounds, or days spent trying to group all of the apps that might possibly communicate with each other in the same isolation bubble.
Unidesk layering technology offers several other unique advantages for customers implementing VDI:
- One clean golden image of Windows can be used for all desktops, making operating system patches and updates highly efficient. Patches can be “undone” simply by reverting to a previous OS layer version;
- Persistent and non-persistent virtual desktops can both created using 70-90% less storage capacity than full-sized virtual desktops, eliminating storage cost as a consideration when trying to decide whether to give users persistent desktops;
- Profile management tools are no longer needed, since Unidesk persistent desktops keep all user customizations, including user-installed applications. Unidesk also enables service desk staff to quickly resolve common desktop break/fix problems by undoing IT and end user changes.
We're delighted to have MTM as our newest UCSP. If you're at Citrix Synergy in Anaheim this week, stop by Unidesk Booth #618 to learn more about Unidesk, meet some of our people, and perhaps catch some of the MTM team who will also be there.